Professional Thai Yoga Massage Diploma
Would you like to become professionally qualified to give relaxing yet deep body work in the traditional style of northern Thailand?
Shiatsu and Thai Massage Training Scotland offers a unique opportunity to train for a diploma in authentic Thai Yoga Massage in Glasgow, taught by uniquely trained teachers, with a curriculum designed by practitioners who apprenticed with masters from the temples of Northern Thailand.
Whether you are looking for a change of career, flexible working hours, or another string to your bow, then this course is for you. Perhaps you are already a massage therapist looking to enhance your existing career, or perhaps a yoga teacher looking to offer a more comprehensive service to your students, this can be a compliment to your existing business, or it can be a fresh start. Thai Massage is in demand, a growing field in the therapy industry, and we will bring you to a high standard in a short period of time, and we will support you with skilled individual attention along the way.
This course is the most comprehensive available in the country, taught by teachers with unique and extensive experience of Thai bodywork, who are also skilled in various other disciplines such as acroyoga, Qi Gong, dance therapy, yoga teaching, Shiatsu and mindfulness.
In simple stages you will be shown how to apply a wide repertoire of techniques, ranging from gentle palm and thumb pressure using your body weight effectively, to applying passive stretches and yoga poses to your client confidently. You will have plenty of supervised practice time and will learn about the theory of this ancient healing art; the Sen energy lines, breathing and meditation techniques, and the historical context of the therapy.
The course is accredited as a qualification by FHT and upon successful completion you will be competent to give professional level Thai Yoga Massage, and become registered and insured to practise professionally.
Venue: Shiatsu and Thai Massage Training,
Second floor front, 72 Berkeley Street, Charing Cross, Glasgow G3 7DS. (or online if we are in level 4 lockdown)
Course Dates and details:
- Practical training sessions run across 5 weekends from 10:00-17:30 on Saturday & Sunday on the following dates:
- 2022 Level One: 29 & 30 October, 26 & 27 November
- 2023 Level Two: 7 & 8 January, 4 & 5 Feb,11th March (practical assessment on Saturday 11th – no class on the Sunday 12th March)
- Mindfulness training sessions are included in the course curriculum. The 9 weeks of training run online on Tuesdays 9.30-11.30am or Thursdays, 6.45 – 8.45pm. Please scroll down for full information about Mindfulness training below
- An online course of 30 hours Theory and Contextual studies study is required for Professional Certification.
- For students at beginner level who are not already qualified to level 3, Anatomy and Physiology, and Health and Safety study is required ( also included in the full course cost)
- 2 hours per week home practise is necessary. You’ll need willing friends or family to practise on so that you can perfect the techniques between the training weekends
- Optional practise classes are included in the cost: 1pm-4pm on Saturdays: 12 Nov ’22, 10 Dec ’22, 21 Jan ’23 and 25 Feb ’23
- Accessibility: if any aspect of the course is inaccessible to you for any reason such as disability or diverse learning style please enquire about accessibility options.
Interested in applying for this course? Please e-mail to request an application form and full information sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full course cost including assessment and certification: £1695
- Level One only: £750 (Practical training only for self development. Does not include certification, online study or MBLC course)
- Level Two only: £1200 (includes online study, MBLC, all assessments and full certification on successful graduation)
Covid Update – All courses are conducted with in-person attendance up to and including level 3 restrictions. Book with confidence guarantee: If you unexpectly need to self isolate, or if Glasgow, or your home area is subject to level 4 restrictions, then you can still attend the course with our digital resources.
Traditional Thai Yoga massage is a dynamic healing art involving massage techniques, gentle palm and thumb pressure, and passive applied stretches that resemble the poses of yoga. The receiver wears loose clothing. Originally it was practised by monks at the temple, and is a spiritual practice which stems back to the times of Buddha and before. The massage techniques are applied as a moving meditation of Metta (loving kindness). It is a truly rewarding experience which leaves both giver and receiver more stretched, relaxed & in balance. Course teachers: Lucy Trend and Lesley Lewis
Mindfulness Based Living Course: As an integral part of the TYM Dip course we have mindfulness and compassion training, which follows the curriculum of the Mindfulness Association’s 8 week Mindfulness Based Living Course (MBLC). Completion of this aspect of the course will qualify you to attend training as a Mindfulness teacher with Mindfulness Association. The MBLC is recognised as an eight week course in the UK Good Practice Guidelines and those trained to teach it are eligible to join the UK Listing of Mindfulness Teachers. The course runs on Zoom from 20th October – 8th December 2022 6.45-8.45pm. For full information see https://www.mindfulnessassociation.net/ma-courses/8-week-mblc/
Feedback from students:
“The course has been really fantastic for giving me confidence that I didn’t have before, and I really appreciate Lucy being such a great teacher.” Bracken Holroyd, class of 2019
“The relaxed and friendly learning environment made it a joy to learn, Lucy is an excellent teacher. And I have met a lovely bunch of people and made some lifelong friends” Charlie Prouse, class of 2018
“I enjoyed the structure the course, the material covered, and the teachers and assistants were always there to help. A fantastic experience!” MC, Yoga Teacher, class of 2018
“I have loved the course and can’t believe how much I have learned. Although there has been a lot of work involved it has been well spread out and manageable. Thank you for everything you have put into the course. It’s been a great experience and lovely getting to know everyone.” Laura Hall, occupational therapist. Class of 2016.
“I loved learning a new skill that compliments my yoga teaching” Margaret, yoga teacher
“There’s nothing better than learning a new skill that is of benefit to both giver and receiver. I really enjoyed learning the practical and theory of TYM and look forward to lifelong learning” Julie, secondary school teacher, class of 2016
“The entire experience has been absolutely fantastic; the relaxed environment and relaxed teaching style, the teacher’s skills and experience, and the individual feedback has always been constructive and in depth.” Stephen Rogan, yoga teacher and massage therapist, class of 2014
See also: Foundation and CPD Courses
FAQs about Diploma course
We will send you a full information sheet and application form upon request, however here are a few frequently asked questions:
If I already have a HNC Complementary Therapies,or a prior level 3 massage qualification, can I do only level one and be able to practise professionally?
- Unfortunately not! You would only be able to use the techniques learned on healthy friends and family who are physically active and without illness or injury.
This is for a few reasons:
- You would not have a completion certificate and so would not be able to get insurance
- Because of the physical manipulations Thai Massage has a higher risk, and insurance companies and professional bodies such as FHT would want to see your full certification.
- You would not have done the Thai Massage theory and so would not fully understand the context and the contraindications.
- You would not have enough study time to be familiar enough with the physical effects of the techniques and would be liable to cause injury to others or even to yourself.
- You would also find that you wouldn’t know enough techniques or enough variations of techniques for your clients’ different needs.
Why might someone want to do level one only if they can’t practice professionally after it?
- The level one option is available for someone who might not be available for the full course at the time but wants to pick it up later, for example someone who is pregnant or has other plans coming up. Level two can be taken within three years of completing level one.
- It is also useful for those who are not certain that they want to commit to the full course but are curious about learning the skills for personal development reasons, and to use on healthy friends and family who are physically active and without illness or injury.
If I have professional level massage training would I have to do the AP&P, and Health and Safety course?
- No this would not be a requirement but you would have access to the online course for revision purposes if you wish to enroll.
If I already AP and P, and Health and Safety for complementary therapies would the fees be lower?
- Unfortunately not, sorry! However, as above you would have access to the course if you wish to enroll as a refresher.
If I do level one only do I need to do the mindfulness course?
- The MBLC is not included in the level one only fee. If you decide to attend level two at a later date you would be able to check for the dates of the next upcoming course at the time.